Monday, August 22, 2011

0 Fraise Knock Out!

I hope you didn't spend your weekend arm wrestling a jar of strawberry jam like I did...

I wasn't thrilled with last Friday's watercolor - the reds were...just too red!

Off I marched to Union Square Farmers Market...

Ringside the Day-neutral berries were just waiting for me to show up...

Across the aisle the strawberry jams were aiming to hit hard...

Mon dieu! But at $8 bucks a jar I hesitated...

To the left the $8 dollar ready-to-eat lobsters were yelling out,


"Take us home and paint us!"





Do you have something for a little less?



Beth's:Not really, unless you want the jar that didn't jell for $4?


Me:I'll take it!

Me:Do you always have something on sale every week?




Beth's:Never! We've been making jam for 30 years!



Me:Oh...ooops


I grabed the strawbs, jam AND the lobster and headed home...

Time to duke it out with some pencil 'thumbnails'



Then a slugfest with the red pigments...

Second entree into the ring wasn't so bad, but the berries got the upper hand...

Parisian pastry chefs always keep the upper hand with their strawberries. You can't walk a block without bumping into one or two strawberry tartes in Paris... I found out from Relais Desserts that strawberries are not even a fruit. Who knew? It's those little yellow seeds, the 'achenes' that are the actual fruit. Louis XIV sent Amedee Francois Frezier (is that where le fraisier got it's name?) off to South America. He brought back many new varieties. Now there are at least 600 kinds of berries to put in your tarte, though the Plougastel, the gariguette and the mara des bois are the most popular. I was chastised in Monoprix for buying berries from Spain - mechante/naughty





Et voila


Have a BERRY Good Day PBers!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

breakfasts time Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates