Monday, August 15, 2011

0 Footless in Astoria

They say you should never attempt French macarons (part trois) when it's damp and pouring cats and dogs outside.
They say (well the recipe says) use SUPERFINE granulated sugar not just plain old granulated sugar with your egg whites. It was raining cats and dogs out.
They say you should age your egg whites 1-3 days (while others say you can nuke them for 10-15 seconds and get the same effect). Everyone agrees the measurements must be correct and to use a scale, but if you're semi-dyslexic and read the numbers wrong... Photo by Bill Cunningham/NYTimes
Bill Cunningham was saying
YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW Lemon YELLOW macarons were ringing in my ears c/o Jill's Mad About Macarons
Jill says she likes to take shortcuts. Me too. Course it would help if I knew what shortcuts to take.
I didn't shortcut incorporating the whipped eggwhites into the almond-sugar mixture. The lemon zester was supplied by ZestN'est and works very well. If only other elements had worked.
 I did refer to Jill's demo video
The famous 'molten-lava-ribbon' stage of the macaronage.
But something was wrong. Overbeaten, wrong sugar, too loose.
I should have noticed the cookies spread too much when batter spritzed on the floor. Warning bells were ringing loud. 
'Footless' lemon sugar cookies are not the desired result.
Nevermind- I ate too many and tossed the rest.
Neither a lender, borrower or a baker be?

Or should I just make plain old macarOOns the old-fashioned way. I have pounds of almond flour sitting in the fridge. You tell me what to do next!
BONJOUR FOOTLESS!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

breakfasts time Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates