Friday, April 6, 2012

0 WELSH CAKES - GÂTEAUX GALLOIS

Welsh Cakes 1 4 bis
Feasting is also closely related to memory. We eat certain things in a particular way in order to remember who we are. Why else would you eat grits in Madison, New Jersey?
- Jeff Smith 'The Frugal Gourmet Keeps the Feast' (1995)
Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table.
- Charles Pierre Monselet (1825-1888)
There are some memories which we simply cannot forget or erase. They stay forever inked in our brains and branded in our heart, no matter what happens to us in life or how we feel now about the people they imply...
My mother and father are awfully manipulative, considerably messed up, highly harmful, terrifyingly tyrannic and disfunctional, but although I have not spoken to those two beings since eight years and I don't regret cutting off all contact with them (the only solution left for me if I wanted to get healthy again, to maintain my sanity as well as to reclaim my independence), certain past events just can't be washed away that easily, especially if they are enjoyable and linked to food - one of my biggest pleasures and weaknesses.

I might not have been blessed with selfless, non-narcissic, affectionate and dedicated parents who had a healthy relationship with one another or their children and who were capable of ridding themselves from their demons, yet I have to admit that regardless of all the stuff they have put me through and how much they have hurt me, treated me disrespectfully, caused me to doubt myself, brought me to my knees, supressed my self-confidence, transformed me into a willing "slave", vampirized me and deeply bruised my ego, soul as well as body, I still recall the rare and happy moments when what was left of their kind nature transpired through the thick veil of toxic poisoning that kept them emprisoned in frustration, hate and affliction.

Being a person who prefers to dwell on the positive side of things instead of choosing to get galvanized by negative thoughts, I cherish those cheerful and peaceful times and try not to focus on events that caused me a lot of pain and distress even if I know I'll never be able to obliterate them totally from my mind. Their hurtful legacy has marked me for the rest of my existence and there's nothing I can do about that, nonetheless, even if they didn't bring me up conventionally I have to point out that, at least, they have taught me to cultivate a fervor for quality fare and fine dining. This passion later turned into a serious hobby to which I am a 110% dedicated and which I need to survive. I am grateful for this heritage as it has got me through the tough periods in my existence (read article on that subject here).

It seems many emotionally handicapped people show their feelings for their kids by feeding them like kings. It is their way of expressing their emotions and thoughts. I guess it is for that reason that eating is often associated with well-being and is quite regressive. In my case, I know that what graced my plate never failed to bring a smile on my face and had the same effect on me as the warm kisses on the cheeks or an affectionate hugs I sadly never received and always dreamt of getting - until today, it is a mystery whether they truly love me or not.

For instance, I will always remember coming back home from school to an apartment smelling gorgeously of homemade dishes and freshly baked goods that my mum had been preparing while I was arduously studying. This filled me with joy and lifted my spirits. A breath of fresh air after a hard day of learning in an environment that was quite depressing for the outsider and social misfit that I was. Food transported me to another world and had a strong impact on my mood - it still does nowadays.

There was one sweet chow I particularly liked to find on the kitchen table when I got home in the afternoon: "Welsh Cakes", a wonderful speciality which hails from Wales in the UK. I can't think of something more soothing and addictive than those round doughy delights. One little bite of them babies was enough to make me forget my exam stress and the fact that I was singled out by my peers and didn't have many friends. As if by magic, all my problems vanished and I was overwhelmed with pure contentment.
A genial hearth, a hospitable board, and a refined rusticity.
- William Wordsworth
Unlike other patisserie products, "Welsh Cakes" are never baked in an oven. Actually, they are very shortly cooked on a bakestone, a hot plate or in a heavy metal pan. This humble confection is made from butter (or lard and margarine when it comes to the cheap version), self-raising flour (or plain flour to which baking powder has been added), castor sugar, currants, eggs as well as a little milk and salt. They are a variant of the flat griddle-breads and scones found throughout the western and northern parts of Britain, though they are flatter and a lot denser in mass and texture than the latter.

In the past, "Pice Ar Y Maen" (Welsh for "cake on the stone", also called "Cacennau Cri") were fried in a cast-iron skillet or in a kind of Dutch oven (three-sided tin oven) placed in front of the flames of the kitchen fire. At this time, yeast was used as the raising agent as baking powder appeared only after the mid 19th century. Each family prepared them slightly differently and had their own secret formula which was passed from down to daughters (some included honey, mace, cinnamon, nutmeg, currants or even ginger).

"Welsh Cakes" are lusciously soft and humid on the inside, delightfully crispy on the outside and have a nice chewy touch thanks to the moistened dried fruits. It is recommended to eat them while they are fresh and still warm as it is then that they are at their best. Unless you have tasted that artisan deliciousness, you'll never be able to imagine how fabulous it is or to understand why the Welsh folk venerate this afternoon tea delicacy so much as it is quite incomparable.

As a matter of fact they are absolutely irresistible, incredibly ambrosial, gustatively fullfilling and so moreish in a manner only warm pastries can be. It is impossible not to stuff your face with them and end up exploding after having giddily swallowed your upteenth "Welsh Cakes" in a row. Once you start, there's no stopping you.

The recipe I am presenting today is based on the one that has been followed by both my granny and mama so, as you can imagine, it is very traditional and far from being recent. As a matter of fact, I bet it dates back to the early 50's. Of course, since I am a perfectionist and it is my habit to add my owm personalized touch to things, I fiddled with it in order to ameliorate and customize it a little by ajusting the quantity of milk used as well as by adding a few grams more sea salt and raisins.

This combination of homely ingredients and rich flavors is simply perfect. As a result, my "Welsh Cakes" are dangerously hooking and refined despite their modest origins. So, my question is the following: are you strong enough not to fall under their spell? Nah, I bet not and why bother resisting? You know you'd never win that battle!!

~ Welsh Cakes ~
Recipe by Rosa Mayland, April 2012.

Makes about 14-16 Welsh Cakes.


Ingredients:
225g (8oz) 
All-purpose flour
1 1/4 Tsp Baking powder
1/2 Tsp Fine sea salt
100g (4oz)
Unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
50g (2oz)
Castor sugar
60 g (2oz)
Currants
1 E
gg (63g)
4-5  Tbs (60-75ml) Milk
Peanut oil, for frying
Extra castor sugar for dusting (optional)

Method: 
1. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Rub in the butter.
3. Stir in the sugar and currants.
4. Beat the egg together with the milk.
5. Add this mixture to the one in the bowl and combine in order to obtain a ball of dough. Knead lightly.

Welsh Cakes 2 4 bis
6. Roll out the pastry until it is about 5 mm (1/4 inch) thick.
7. Cut into rounds with a 6cm (2.4 inches) fluted cutter and re-roll the trimmings.
8. Fry
each pastry rounds in a moderately hot cast-iron pan or frying pan for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
9. Let cool on a rack or eat while still warm.

Remarks:
If you want your "Welsh Cakes" to have a spicy edge, then you can add  1/2 tsp mixed spice to the dry ingredients.

Serving suggestions:
Serve them warm or cold, plain or dusted with sugar, with butter or clotted cream and jam.

Spring Flowers 4 2 bis
~ Gâteaux Gallois ~
Recette par Rosa Mayland, Avril 2012

Pour environ 14-16 Welsh Cakes.

Ingrédients:
225g de Farine
1 1/4 CC de Poudre à pâte/lever
1/2 CC de Sel de mer fin
100g de Beurre non-salé, coupé en petit cubes
50g de Sucre cristallisé
60g de Raisins secs foncés
1 Oeuf (63g)
4-5 CS
(60-75ml) de Lait
Huile d'arachide, pour frire les gâteaux
Sucre cristallisé, pour saupoudrer les gâteaux

Méthode:

1. Mélanger la farine, la poudre à lever et le sel ensemble.
2. Ajouter le beurre et sabler
du bout des doigts.
3. Incorporer le sucre et les raisins secs.
4. Battre l'oeuf avec le lait.
5. Ajouter le mélange liquide à celui dans le bol et bien incorporer à l'aide d'un couteau afin d'obtenir une boule de pâte. Pétrir très légèrement et rapidement.

Welsh Cakes 6 1 bis
6. Etaler la pâte à une épaisseur d'environ 5 mm.
7. Découper des cercles à l'aide d'un emporte-pièce cannelé de 6cm.
8. A feu moyen et dans un peu d'huile (1 CS), faire frire chaque rond de pâte dans une poêle pendant environ 2-3 minutes de chaque côté, ou jusqu'à ce que les cakes soient dorés.
9. Les faire refroidir sur une grille ou les manger lorsqu'ils sont encore chauds.

Remarques:
Si vous voulez que vos "Welsh Cakes" aient une saveur épicée, alors je vous recommande d'ajouter 1/2 CC de mixed spice au ingrédients secs (recette:
1 CS cannelle en poudre, 1 CC de coriandre en poudre 1 CC de noix de muscade en poudre, 1/2 CC de gingembre en poudre, 1/4 CC de tout épice en poudre et 1/4 de clous de girofle en poudre).

Idées de présentation:
Servir les Welsh cakes encore chaud ou seulement une fois refroidis.
Ils peuvent être mangés tels quels ou saupoudrés avec du sucre cristallisé ou encore avec de la confiture et du beurre/de la "clotted cream".

Welsh Cakes 3 1 bis

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

breakfasts time Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates